The Agile Coach Accelerator
Leveling up transformation with the Integral Agile approach
Who Should Attend:
Agile coaches and practitioners keen on a health-centric, integral approach to Agile implementation who are interested in becoming significantly more effective at impacting individuals, teams and organizations
The realm of Agile coaching is vast and complex, requiring coaches to be adept at facilitating change across diverse contexts. By leveraging the wisdom of Integral Theory, Agile coaches can gain critical new perspectives on the intricate dynamics at play within individuals, teams, and organizations, as well as new tools to impact Agile transformation.
Beginning with the health of the individual, this course equips Agile coaches to assess and elevate the well-being and effectiveness of Agile practitioners, teams, ceremonies, and the wider organizational structures. We introduce key Integral Theory concepts, primarily Holons and Quadrants, and provide a roadmap for effectively weaving them into the fabric of Agile practices.
By incorporating a four-quadrant assessment inspired by Integral Theory, coaches will be better prepared to facilitate optimal performance at every level of an Agile organization.
Duration: 1 Day (with an optional Day 2 extension)
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the foundational principles of Integral Theory with an emphasis on Holons and Quadrants.
- Apply the Quadrants to evaluate and address individual, team, and organizational challenges from multiple perspectives.
- Recognize the interconnected nature of Holons at individual, team, team-of-teams, and organizational levels.
- Use Integral principles to raise the impact of Agile ceremonies, roles and practices and facilitate optimal performance at every level of an Agile organization.
- Cultivate deeper awareness of internal and external dynamics to drive meaningful change and optimize Agile practices.
- Become more impactful in coaching conversations using the insights from Integral Theory.
Day 1: Health Assessments & Quadrant Applications in Agile
- Introduction to Integral Theory
- Foundations of Integral Theory
- The significance of Holons and Quadrants
- Benefits of integrating Integral Theory in Agile coaching
- Holons in Agile Context
- Understanding interconnectedness: Individual ⇌ Team ⇌ Team of Teams ⇌ Organization
- Role of an Agile coach in navigating holarchic structures
- The Health of the Whole: Starting with the Individual
- Emphasis on individual well-being in Agile environments
- Introduction to the four-quadrant assessment: Assessing individual health
- From Healthy Individuals to Flourishing Teams
- Principles of team health and dynamics
- Role-based health: Scrum Master, Product Owner, Tech Lead
- Using the four-quadrant assessment for team roles
- Agile Ceremonies Through the Quadrant Lens
- Challenges with traditional Agile ceremonies and their effectiveness
- Deep dive into the four Quadrants: Intentional, Behavioral, Cultural, and Social
- Applying Quadrants to Agile practices: Standups, Retrospectives, Planning, and more
- Quadrants and the Agile Transformation journey
- Goal, agenda, attendees, inputs, outputs: Criteria for effective ceremonies
- Hands-on exercises: Hosting an Integral Standup, Retrospective, and Planning Session
- Extending the Integral Approach to Team Structures
- Application in Scrum and Kanban methodologies
- Building from individual teams to Team of Teams and organizational health
- Using the quadrant assessment at the enterprise level
- Practical Exercises
- Hands-on four-quadrant exercises tailored to different Agile scenarios
- Integral Coaching Conversations
- Enhancing coaching dialogues using Quadrants
- Navigating complex interpersonal dynamics
- Case studies: Real-world coaching scenarios
Day 2 (Optional Extension): Lines, Levels, and Types in Integral Agile Coaching
- Introduction to Lines and Levels
- Foundations of lines and levels in Integral Theory
- Significance and applications in Agile coaching
- Morning deep-dive: Comprehensive understanding of lines and levels
- Tools and Applications of Lines in Agile
- The benefits and challenges of using lines in Agile transformation
- Cultural applications and alignment with objectives
- Engaging with Types and Their Role in Team and Organization Dynamics
- Understanding types and their significance in team interactions
- Role-playing exercises: Embracing character dynamics (e.g., Orange vs. Amber) to illustrate challenges and solutions
- Bringing It All Together
- Integrating lines, levels, and types for a holistic coaching strategy
- Reflections and forward planning
- Action Planning and Next Steps
- Crafting an Integral Agile roadmap for your organization
- Resources and further reading
- Continuous learning and community engagement
The course will be highly interactive, combining expert-led sessions, group discussions, hands-on exercises, role-playing, and case study analyses to ensure a holistic understanding and application of Integral Theory in the Agile context.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will receive a certification of attendance, demonstrating their understanding of integrating Integral Theory into Agile practices.
Make an impact
- Learn new holistic perspectives on the dynamics within all organizational levels.
- Gain new tools to impact Agile transformation.
- Becoming more effective at impacting individuals, teams and organizations